Whimsy Stamps ~ The Headless Horseman

Hey crafty friends, I'm popping in today with a spooky but cool creation I've made with two of the new sets from the recent Halloween releases. You may recognise the background of this design as the background I ended up not using from the video I shared that featured the Monster Close Ups Stamp Set. I made several backgrounds and this one didn't work for the make I had in mind, so I tucked it away for later use and when I was playing with these new elements it occured to me how fabulous this would be as the backdrop for this design. 


My youngest and I rewatched this last year, so the imagery is pretty fresh in my head! I had great fun creating a Headless Horseman make for last Halloween. I took my inspiration for my creation last year, from the movie poster. You can see that make here. It's still one of my favourite Halloween creations, but this new one may very well rival it! I love how this turned out. Both of these have been made as Halloween Décor rather than a card. So I use a little easel to display them.


How hauntingly fabulous is this Headless Horseman. I cannot tell you how excited I was that Whimsy brought out this set this year. I had such fun making my creation last year and the die set this year with the four options of poses for the Headless Horseman, is just genius in my opinion. They've covered all the bases and given us such great options! Pair it with the amazing Old Bridge Die Set and this is truly a spooky match made in heaven. I've used white ink to get the misty finish on the Headless Horseman. I also used the white ink to create a hazy mist behind him. I didn't go in and clean the white ink off the trees properly until after I'd done these pics, so they're a bit blotchy in places, but I did go back in with a Q-Tip and tiny bit of water and clean those up later on. 


Because I'd chosen a portrait format for my design, it didn't work to have the whole of the Old Bridge in this scene, but I was able to trim it down to fit the A2 portrait orientation. I used the same Deckle Layers Die to cut down the scene, as I'd used for the image panel. This edged the scene really nicely. I cut higher in the design, so the underwater aspect of the bridge was gone, leaving a path rather than bridge which suited this orientation of the Headless Horseman better.


This Spooky Word Die, I had sitting in my stash from last year. I'd ink blended the paper with Black Soot Distress Oxide and then sprayed some Mica Spray Stain over it. I used Empty Tomb to add a little Mica sparkle over the Black Soot. This has been sitting in my stash a while and handled quite a lot, so I feel like I've possibly rubbed off some of the Mica, but it's definitely still there and in good light does shimmer. It looks more dusty than shimmery above, but either way, it sits well in the scene! 


I used the cool lichen dies on the base of the design which come with the Old Bridge Die Set, to add a little texture and interest in the scene, then had the idea to add some to the sentiment, which I think looks so cool! So that was fun. If you look at the original design of this Spooky Die, it is missing some elements. I've trimmed away the bat and the spider to better sit in this scene and love how it looks. Fun to be able to 'edit it' this way. Gives it greater flexibility.


Whimsy's Halloween releases have all gone live now, the last one was released on September 30th and I just have to say, Whimsy has cemented itself as THE crafty company for Halloween. Every Halloween release this year was absolutely stellar! I love the too cute to spook style of Halloween and Crissy Armstrong's images are perfect for those who loves this style of crafting, but Whimsy isn't shy to create for the darker side of Halloween either and though my heart isn't in that style of Halloween creating normally, I did find lots of sets I really wanted to have to extend my Halloween stash. I loved the releases last year too, so I've collected quite a fun selection of Halloween stash. I've more ideas this year than I have time to create, which is sad, as the time is whizzing by, but I hope to get in a few more Halloween makes before we run out of October! Thanks for popping in to visit friends, I hope you enjoyed seeing my creative adventures with these sets and I look forward to sharing my next creative adventure with you very soon. Hugs and happy crafting, Wends xoxo
















(I share thumbnails to the elements I design with in order to make your search for them easier, in case you like something I've used. I do use affiliate links where possible, which gives me a tiny commission but costs you no extra whatsoever. I do not make a commission from the Whimsy Stamps Links. But these links help the companies I design for to improve their marketing practice and track my contributions. I am deeply grateful if you use them for these reasons. I am proud to design for the companies I do and always feel happy to share where my inspiration and where my crafty stash comes from. I am occasionally gifted products to use, but I only design for companies whose products I absolutely love and buy for myself. My opinions are always my own.)

Challenge Entries:

Comments

Recent Posts You May Also Enjoy