Whimsy Wednesday ~ Penguin Ray

Hey there lovely crafty pals. I hope your week is going well. I'm here with my usual Whimsy Wednesday post, but this week it's a post with a difference, because this stamp has been made to support our lovely artist Crissy Armstrong's brother, who is currently undergoing chemotherapy for cancer. Oh that word, it just makes you cringe doesn't it?! There has been too much of that in our lives and the havoc it wreaks! So it's pure joy to support this wonderful cause.


I used two papers that Crissy designed to create a 'hospital room' feeling for the card, a grey wood floor and white brick wall. I wanted to create that 'sterile' feeling you get when you walk into a hospital, something Ray would identify with when he got the card. I didn't want it to feel like a 'downer', but I did want it to be relatable. Yes, I'm sending the card to him, to hopefully give him some encouragement and to cheer him on. It's amazing what little things can do to help lift spirits when feeling so poorly. Crissy, would love it, if all who would like to, could send Ray their creations too. So anyone who would like to, let me know and I'll send you details of where to send the card.


All the details of this promotion can be found in the Whimsy Stamps Store. Denise and Crissy are offering all the proceeds from the sale of this stamp, to the charity of Ray's choice, which is the 'Make A Wish Foundation' in Canada. So your purchase goes directly to a great cause! You can click through to the store via the banner above.


I've coloured this poorly penguin with my Copic Markers adding shade to the floor underneath him and the IV stand too. I chose a really 'toxic' green for the IV fluid to depict the powerful cancer drugs used for chemotherapy and added a little sicky glow on his face to show he's feeling a lil' 'green 'round the gills!'


I chose two sentiments to add to the front of this card, which I've had in my stash a good long while and not used before now. I wanted to acknowledge how tough this journey can be, having watched a dear friend go through her journey recently. It is tough, there's no denying that, but an upbeat hopeful attitude can go such a long way to helping fight and win! I also had this wee heart tracing stamp that I've not used often, in my stash too, so that got an outing as well. I had originally intended to use red as the accent colour, but once I'd coloured that IV bag, I decided to swap out my red card base and switch in a green paper I'd just been playing with from my last Paper Door set. I think it works a treat. 


The Paper Door paper I used is double sided, so I thought it would be fun to cut some hearts out of the white card base and allow the other side of the patterned paper to show through on the inside of the card. This die is an older Whimsy Stamps die. I added another sentiment which I think is really apt, reminding Ray to keep his head up and his heart strong. As a nurse, I've seen very different outcomes for patients often so heavily affected by their outlook. Staying positive and optimistic really goes a long way to surviving these awful but necessary chemo' treatments. 


Thanks for stopping in today. I hope you'll join us in supporting this wonderful cause and as I said above, if you'd like to actually send Ray a card you create with this wonderful image, feel free to ask me for the address details. Wishing you a healthy and happy week. Hugs xoxo







Challenge Entries:
Colour Crazy Challenge: #11 ~ Anything Goes
Pammie's Inky Pinkies: #1912 ~ Anything Goes
Crafty Cardmakers: #230 ~ That Special Someone
Crafty Creations Challenge: #387 ~ Anything Goes
Lil' Patch of Crafty Friends: #102 ~ Anything Goes
Aud Sentiments: #223 ~ Any Sentiment Except Happy Birthday
Creative Inspirations: March ~ Spring Greens (I've used spring green on my card, but poorly penguin not feeling very spring like!)

Comments

Loopylou. said…
oh Wend its fabulous, Ray will absolutely love it hunny xxx
Pop's Cards said…
It looks amazing with the waiting area, the bricks look really good, and that poor looking penguin, awww, I love this creation hugs Pops x
Chris said…
It's a brilliant card Wends, that poor little penguin pulls on the heartstrings, he looks so sad and poorly...lets just hope that the 'nasty stuff' is doing him good! Great design with the perfect choice of papers and sentiments, I'm sure Ray will love to receive it and will appreciate the loving thoughts behind it.
hugs
xx
This is such a cute image. He will love your card
Fikreta said…
sad but adorable card!
Dawn T said…
stunning Wendy. Crissy is such a talented artist and it's awesome she has made this in honour of her brother.
Mary said…
Would love to support this cause but do not have a computer, I do use my phone for everything. Wish they had stamps to purchase
Sarah said…
Ray will love this card Wends, a brilliant design and every little detail so carefully thought out xx
You have put a great deal of thought into this card and it shows. Thanks for entering our Spring Green Challenge at Creative Inspirations and good luck, Jayne DT
Tracy said…
Your thoughtfulness is in the details of this sweet card Wendy. Wishing Ray all the best. You're right. The big "c" is so common anymore. I don't think I know a family that isn't touched by it. Hugs!
Megan J said…
Hi Wendy, a superb get well card for Ray as he has treatment. Love the realistic scene you made for him. Thank you for joining us at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends... good luck in the prize draw... Megan DT LPoCF
Absolutely wonderful hunnie. This is so beautifully made, I adore the scene you've added behind penguin Ray. I bet Ray and Crissy loves this one. <3
Josephine said…
What a fabulously inspirational sentiment, and a cute card.

Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers!
Maikreations said…
The sentiment is very inspirational and the card is perfect to pick someone up who has to go through such a horrible time. Wished no one would need to get a card like this, though - no matter how cute and wonderful it is... Wishing Crissy's brother all the very best!
Thank you for playing along with our "For A Special Someone" challenge at the Crafty Cardmakers! Hope to see you again next time! Have a lovely Sunday and happy crafting! Maike DT
Anna-Karin said…
This is so cute. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Creations. Anna-Karin DT

Recent Posts You May Also Enjoy