Whimsy Stamps ~ Prepping for Christmas

Hey friends, it's November, eek, that means Christmas is right around the corner! I feel like each year speeds up and this year has felt like it's whizzed by in turbo mode! I slowed down the last couple of weeks while I was under the weather and now I feel like I've lost time to get ready for all things Christmassy. So I'm in create like crazy mode to try and get everything done I want to before the big day arrives. 


This creation has a lovely story behind it. I was visiting Mindy Eggan's Instagram the other day and commented on the news that she was going to be a tutor at the Holiday Card Workshop with Jennifer McGuire and Kristina Werner. I had this card class open in my browser to check it out further as I really wanted to do the class, but this month pennies have been tight, so I was stalling to talk to hubby about it. Then a message came from Mindy to say that I'd won a place in the class! Woohoo! So I'm tickled pink, because I really wanted to do it and so I'm super excited to have the chance to kick start my holiday makes with these lovely classes. I of course had to pull out my plaid paper from Whimsy to create this first one. I've been longing to do that as the thought of Christmas drew near. I just love this paper pack, it has some really pretty plaids and this red one is one of my favourites! Which is funny, because today's homework exercise from the classes is actually to create plaid from scratch! So watch for that fun adventure. 


Speaking of fun adventures, I created this inky splattered background to start my design, by blending Aged Mahogany and Candied Apple on an A2 card base. I made a note of where the heart aperture would be and blended for that. After I was happy with the blend of those two Distress Oxide inks, I then splattered the panel generously with Tart Cranberry Mica Stain for a bit of sparkle and interest. I love how this came out and it looks lovely in reality as the sparkly background to the design. 


The brief for this design was to create an aperture of sorts and then create a 'faux lasercut' design inside. Watching Jennifer, who taught this class, do this, was slightly daunting but oh so inspiring and I must say I absolutely LOVE how this card came out! I used a lovely holly branch die from Whimsy created by Crissy Armstrong for the faux lasercut elements. It didn't take too many diecuts, to achieve the look. The heart die I used is also from Whimsy Stamps and I think made for a really pretty aperture design. I diecut the heart for the front panel, then again from foam to create a deeper well that I could use for a shaker card. I added in a mix of pretty sequins from my stash and then added the layers together to close up the shaker. I added the white connected hearts frame die over the acetate to complete the aperture design and then stamped a lovely Christmas sentiment in black ink to finish off the card.


I'm heading back into the classroom today to have the next creative adventure with Online Card Classes. If you think you'd like to join in the fun, I highly recommend heading over and taking a look. I'm really enjoying the classes and you can do them in your own time, so it's not too late to join! I am doing the classes and working on my Whimsy creations at the same time as I'm a little behind having been so ill this past couple of weeks. I'm so glad to be feeling better and making up for lost time! Sending you all a big hug and wishing you happy crafty days xoxo













Comments

Chris said…
I'm so glad you're feeling better now Wends and feeling up to making up for lost time- just don't overdo it! How lovely that you won a place on the class you wanted to do, so pleased for you! The card you made is gorgeous- elegant and beautiful, I love it!
Take care of yourself!
xxx
Hi Wends - sorry to hear you have been so unwell - take care and don't rush back into top gear.
Loving your card, that is exquisite use of the die cuts, and that sprayed background is gorgeous - is that one of this years releases?
Blessings
Maxine

Recent Posts You May Also Enjoy