Whimsy Challenge ~ Rainbow Unicorn

Hello again, so soon you say?! Well yes, my Whimsy Wednesday post is a little early this week, as today is the 15th and I am sharing the creation I've made for our latest challenge which starts today. It's easy peasy, Anything Goes, as long as you use a Whimsy Stamps image. There's a wonderful Whimsy Stamps gift voucher up for grabs every challenge, so if you love all things Whimsy as I do, it's worth being in the running. I have created a rainbow themed card for this challenge. Inspired by Denise Lynn's lovely rainbow papers and following a rather fab' tutorial by Mindy Baxter.


This exquisite image is by none other than Crissy Armstrong, Whimsy Stamps artist and crafter extraordinaire! I just loved this the minute I saw it, but felt a little daunted by it's awesomeness. So when I found that Mindy Baxter was doing a copic tutorial using this image, I was in like Flynn!


I had so much fun following the tutorial and even gave the 'sparkles' a go, which you can see clearer in this close-up. It's just white pen dotted and crossed here and there, but what a fabulous effect! I know I'll be trying that on other things too now. It really does look effective. I even added a lil' shine on his rump! Hehe.


I paired this stunning image once it was coloured up with Denise's gorgeous Rainbow papers. I didn't like the way it looked just with the papers. So decided on adding a small silver sparkle trim. I just love that subtle finish. I have a trick for you too. I have spent 'loads' on glitter paper in the past, but recently discovered in the kiddies 'book covering' section of our local supermarket, as self adhesive (what's not to love about that?!) glitter book cover! So ever the thrifty crafter me, I decided to give this a go and I'm so pleased I did. I won't go back now to the expensive glitter cardstock!


I just trimmed it to size and then left a little overhang either side and just tucked it around the back like the ends of a ribbon. As it was self adhesive it was so tidy and easy! I know I'll be using this loads now!


I used a WPlus9 sentiment called Sparkle and Shine as it really was the PERFECT sentiment for this lovely image. I gave this card to my brother after his first film debut. It was entered into the Melbourne film festival and won a prize! So I was well proud of him. Needless to say, he was delighted with it and it's especially meaningful for him with all the rainbows.


I'll link the Whimsy Stamps products I've used below and do check out Mindy Baxter's amazing tutorials. I've done a few now and loved every one of them! Learning some great skills along the way. You can find her tutorials at My Creative Scoop


I hope you'll come and join us in the challenge this month. You've a whole month to enter your Whimsy Stamps creation and as I said earlier, it's a fabulous Whimsy Stamps Store Voucher as the prize. So well worth entering! I'll be back again soon with another crafty adventure, but in the meantime, check out all the fabulous inspiration that comes in a constant stream from Whimsy's amazing design team on the Whimsy Stamps Facebook page. Hugs to you all xoxo





Challenge Entries:
Crafting By Designs: Anything Goes
Not Just Cards: July ~ Anything Goes
Crafty Creations: #370 ~ Anything Goes
Stamping Sensations: July ~ In My Garden
Dragonfly Journeys: #122 ~ Summer Lovin'
Lil' Patch of Crafty Friends: #86 ~ Anything Goes
Crafty Catz: #425 ~ Anything Goes + Think Summertime
SugarPea Challenge: #45 ~ Mix It Up ~ Rainbow Sprinkles

Comments

Desire Fourie said…
Absolutely gorgeous and I love how you did the background and his rainbow mane.
Hugs
Desíre
{ATG with a CREATE WITH TLC Element}
{Doing Life – my personal blog}
Chris said…
Gorgeous cards Wends! Love that magnificent unicorn with his sparkly rainbow mane and tail, your colouring is stunning! Beautiful design too, perfect papers and lovely sparkle. Great tip about the glitter paper too, I'll have to look out for some.
Chris
x
Absolutely stunning, awesome colouring, gonna give those sparkles a go
Tracy said…
You did a fantastic coloring job on this lovely image Wendy. Your sparkles look so cool. Haven't seen the tutorial but I think you nailed it.
Wow - fabulpus card Wends, and great colouring - especially the 'sparkle'. Thanks for the tip about the sparkle book covering - I must haunt my supermarket and see if they have any....
Blessings
Maxine
pinky said…
Wow Wends that is so gorgeous! I would love a unicorn in my garden!! Especially in those beautiful colours. Thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations.
Pinky
Barbara Bruder said…
This unicorn is colored just as I had envisioned a unicorn. It's beautiful. Your background is really dreamy. Perfect for this card. Thanks for joining us at the Lil Patch of Crafty Friends Challenges for our latest challenge.  {Lil Patch of Crafty Friends Challenges}Good luck and join us again soon. Hugs, Barbara
brenda said…
A really pretty creation for our 'In my Garden' theme at Stamping Sensations challenge and if you have a Unicorn in your garden I want to come there as it's must be so magical, many thanks for joining in.

B x
Jeannie said…
Hi Wendy! My goodness this is fabulous and I know your brother just appreciated receiving it so much. Your coloring and that sparkle technique are just amazing. I will have to give it a try. Thanks so much for joining my Summer Lovin' Blog Challenge and Good Luck :)

Jeannie T.
Dragonfly Journeys
Deanne Saunders said…
Gorgeous!!! Thanks so much for participating in our NOT JUST CARDS challenge. Hope you participate in our next challenge!! Have a happy crafty day!!!
Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper
Fikreta said…
amazing card!
hugs
Fabrika Fantasy said…
Dear Wendy, you created a very beautiful and magical card with this little unicorn! We have summer themed challenge on our Challenge blog this month Fabrika Fantasy Digis, and we would love to invite you to join us there too. Thank you so much!

Digital stamps and coloring books
DigiClub - You can get as many images as you like
Furrbster said…
Oh this is gorgeous! I love your sparkles,

Hugz Tinz
Kerin said…
Ooh, I love the sparkles!! So pretty! Thanks for joining in the SugarPea Designs Mix It Up Challenge this month!
wannabcre8tive said…
I love this cute image. You certainly did a swell job coloring. I love the background. I looked at this image the other day. I may have to go back and get it now that I have seen your card.
Sally H said…
An unusual but beautiful creation! Thanks for entering it for the 'In our Garden' theme at Stamping Sensations this month!
Anne said…
This is amazing, you did a beautiful job of the colouring
I must look out for Mindy's tutorial (she's so clever!)
Anne x

Recent Posts You May Also Enjoy