Fab 'n' Funky ~ Anything Goes!

It's time for a new challenge at Fab 'n' Funky today, the UK crew are still on their Summer hols', so this will be a 'no comments' challenge. But there is of course a lovely prize up for grabs, so do come and join in the fun with us for our 'Anything Goes' Summer challenge. I've been busy making a gift set of cards for this challenge so it will be a very photo heavy post, sorry!


I kept the theme very simple, a diecut border, uplifting lovely sentiment and then very simple embellishments to complete the cards, often just a wrap of twine. I got to use some stash that I very rarely use, like the little pearl buckles. I think they gave the Sympathy cards a simple elegance.


I made this selection of cards for my mother-in-law. Each a little different and many with religious sentiments as she loves to give cards that uplift and encourage. Christmas cards she loves to give with a passage of scripture and always reflecting the 'true meaning' of Christmas. So this card set was crafted with that in mind. 



They were made to suit multiple purposes, some could be Sympathy cards, others thank you to a friend, I even managed one that that could be used to welcome home a traveller. 


The base of each card, with the exception of the two pink cards, I used cardstock that had a lovely shimmery sheen to it. The pink ones were plain cardstock, so I sprayed them with Glimmer Mist and they came up beautifully. Just a soft shimmer showing through where the butterflies are. This doesn't show at all in the photos, but in reality there's a really pretty shimmer where the diecuts are. 



I made quite a large box set of cards and it's a shame I didn't photograph them with their envelopes, as that really set them off so nicely. The London scene diecut had a lovely bright yellow envelope, which looks fabulous against the shimmery black cardstock. The two Christmas cards had red envelopes, which picks up the red accents in the cards. 


These two Oyster coloured cards had lovely buttery cream envelopes which picked up the honey toned sentiment and they looked very elegant with their envelopes. (Seriously kicking myself that I didn't photograph all the cards with their envelopes!) They really can finish a card so beautifully.


I've loved this starry border die for so long and rarely use it, so it was lovely to pull it out and give it an airing. The die is a Doohickey border die called Starlight Lace. I was delighted with the sentiment match I found for these two starry border cards. They are both from an older Amy R for CC Designs Sentiment set. 



The border die for these two cards is also an older Doohickey border die called Romantic Lace. The sentiments for these two cards are both from Unity Stamps and inked with the last two colours of my Kaleidacolor Creole Spice ink pad by Tsukineko.



For the following cards I used a lovely Joanna Sheen border die called Lace Edger #2. I've bought several border dies (as you can see from this post!) and I have to say, there are few that rival the excellent price point of Joanna Sheen's dies. They are really good quality, cut beautifully and there's a lovely range, which includes the London Skyscape I used in the travelers card earlier in this post. The bonus for me, is that she will post for free internationally with spends over £9. That's hard to beat!



This final pair is my favourite from the whole set. I love green, so this pretty pale shimmery green cardstock is just beautiful to me. I think it looks so elegant with this intricate and fun Memory Box Cosmo border die. I'll have to hunt down the sets these two sentiments are from as I can't recall off the top of my head. So I'll update later. 



You may have noticed I crafted 'pairs' of similar colours and diecuts, for this card set in the hopes that it looked a little less eclectic. I wanted lots of variety, and to cover lots of different purposes, but still wanted a sense that it was a 'set'. I had a 'pair' for this orange card, but ended up not including it in the set as I decided I wanted to go in a slightly different direction with the second orange card. I'll put up a post with that one later, so you can see what I did with it. Still using this same, CAS design template, diecut border, lovely sentiment and minimal embellies. But with a little twist - to be revealed later. (I used the Creole Spice Kaleidacolor ink again for this card.)


Wow, congratulations if you made it all the way to the end of this mammoth post! There are 16 cards in this set, so that was quite a lot to get through! I hope you enjoyed having a look at the set and I encourage you to check out this fabulous tutorial by Jennifer McGuire if you like the idea of using border dies to create a card set. It was her post that inspired me to create this set and I hope you enjoyed my take on it. 


Do stop by the Fab 'n' Funky Challenge to check out what my amazing teamies have been up to for this challenge. You're sure to be super inspired after a visit to their lovely blogs. Come and join us for our easy peasy 'Anything Goes' challenge. I'll be back again before long with the 'orange card' that didn't make it into this set. See you all again soon and have a fabulous week. Hugs, Wends xoxo

Challenge Entries
Not Just Cards: #47 ~ Anything Goes
Crafty Creations: #348 ~ Anything Goes
Creative Moments: #124 ~ Anything Goes
The Paper Shelter: #305 ~ Punches and Dies
Colour Crazy Challenge: #32 ~ Anything Goes
Little Patch of Crafty Friends: #63 ~ Anything Goes
Crafting By Designs: August ~ Anything Goes Challenge
Really Reasonable Ribbon: #169 ~ Anything Goes with Ribbon. My whole set of cards has either ribbon or twine on the cards :)
City Crafter Challenge: #375 ~ No Flowers (with the exception of my pink cards, all the other cards in this set, have no flowers on them!)
As You Like It: Favourite Embellishments ~ I don't always use them, but flowers are definitely amongst my favourite embellishments, from the flat papercut flowers, to the 3D mulberry paper flowers and everything in between. I love to use flowers on my creations such as the gem flowers I've used on the pink cards in this set. 

Comments

Sarah said…
My word, you have been a busy bee!! I love each and every one of these brilliant cards. You have every event imaginable covered, what a useful collection xx
Nannieflash said…
Beautiful set of cards simple design with maximum effect, love them. Thanks for joining us at TPS, good luck with the challenge. hugs Shirleyxxx
Cara said…
Wow, you have been busy! What an amazing array of cards, I'll definitely look at my border dies differently now x
Chris said…
Oh my goodness Wends these are amazing! What a fabulous set of cards, your MIL can't fail to be delighted with this beautiful and thoughtful gift. I love the simple designs with the beautiful stamped sentiments and verses and the way you have suited the borders with the sentiments...just lovely!
Chris
x
Elaine Stark said…
A lovely collection of cards. Thanks for joining AYLI challenge. Elaine.
coops said…
All so beautiful Wendy.I love the classy designs and fabulous diecuts, especially love the butterflies :D
Kathy Barnett said…
Your Cards are all so lovely. Thank you for joining us in the Crafty Creations Challenges. Please join in with us again. We look forward to seeing your creations. Good Luck with the challenge. Kathy, DT Member, CCC
Wendy said…
Such a beautiful selection of cards, love the designs.. must get my Cosmo border out, so gorgeous, forgotten I had that!
Hugs
Wendy xx
Fikreta said…
gorgeous cards!
Marjeta said…
You made gorgeous CAS cards. Just love them. Thanks for sharing with us at Creative Moment.

Marjeta
Christine L said…
Wow wow WOW - you have been busy!!! These are all fabulous - I keep changing my mind as to which is my favourite.... I do love the green one that is yours, but I think I have to go for the pink butterflies baby card.. I'm LOVING that butterfly border die (and think I may have it somewhere tucked into the mess that is my craft room!) I'll go on the hunt later as it looks so fab!

Your M-I-L is very lucky to have you make this set for her!

Hugs
Christine x

Anonymous said…
Lovely cards, a great selection too! Thanks for joining in with our challenge at As You Like It,
hugs Samantha :0)
Diana said…
All of them are so elegant and totally stunning!!!

Thank you for sharing your creative talent at our challenge at Creative Moments, good luck!
Looking forward to see you at the next challenge

X
Diana
DT member at Creative Moments
Diana's Creations
CraftyNatalie said…
Thanks for joining us at The Paper Shelter this week. Beautiful collection of cards.
Unknown said…
Thanks for joining us at TPS, good luck with the challenge. hugs Shirleyxxx


หนังจีน

Recent Posts You May Also Enjoy