Sweet Stampin' ~ Birthday Week Celebrations

Wow, can you believe how fast this year is flying by! Mid November already!! It's time for a new challenge over on the Sweet Stampin' blog and it's a special one for us this week, as it's our 'Birthday' challenge. Sweet Stampin' is turning 8 this year. Yay us! So our theme is easy peasy this week, we would love you to join in with your birthday themed cards and of course, please use some stamping with either rubber or clear stamps or hand-colour a digital image. I'm sharing a birthday card I made for a lovely pal who recently turned 40. I've used a fabulous Lili of the Valley image, that was beyond perfect for my pal, who had a themed '1950's' birthday party. 


I've paper-pieced her skirt and coloured her with my Promarkers. Added glitter to her shoes and petticoat and fussy cut her to allow the pretty Nitwit's Dress Shoppe Too's paper to show through behind her. I love this paper and didn't want to cover it too much, so came up with a design, that would let it peek through from behind her, whilst still adding a little interest with the pearl white window frame. I've not tried this before and the inspiration to do it hit me when I was looking at a mat I'd originally cut with a larger Go Kreate shape and then changed my mind and cut a circle instead, leaving behind this aperture frame, which worked so well for this card.


I added a '40' in gold glitter cardstock and some Memory Box Precious Hearts for a bit of bling and interest on the card. Her shoes I used a Copic Spica Glitter Pen in pink and the skirt I used Stickles on her petticoat. The butterfly I cut from vellum for a subtle little bit of extra interest and added a couple of pearls to finish it. 


I decorated the inside of the card very simply, with two greetings from a Penny Black stamp set I just love called Sprinkles & Smiles and added a Whimsy Stamps heart cut from pink gingham to finish. Apologies for the poor quality of this, I thought to snap the inside later and not in the best light.


We had such a lovely time celebrating this pals 40th birthday. Starting with a girlies champagne breakfast, we all had our hair and makeup done by a team of retro makeup artists and finished the night at a 1950's style diner in a lovely part of Auckland that's right on the bay of St Heliers. So we had views of sparkly lights from the city playing on the water as we walked to and from our dinner venue. So pretty.


I hope you'll come and join in our birthday fun at Sweet Stampin' this week. 8 years is quite an achievement for a challenge blog. So we're keen to celebrate! We look forward to seeing what you're inspired to do. Just remember to do some stamping. Have a fabulous weekend and I'll be back again soon with another crafty adventure. Hugs, Wends xoxo


Challenge Entries:
Allsorts: #442 ~ Glitter
Crafty Catz: #393 ~ Anything Goes
Aud Sentiments: #193 ~ Anything Goes
Dragonfly Journeys: #105 ~ Glamourous Gold
Colour Crazy Challenge: #46 ~ Anything Goes
Creative Inspirations Challenge: #283 ~ Sparkle
Deep Ocean Challenge: #168 ~ Things With Wings
In The Pink: #127 ~ Spots or Stripes (her scarf has spots and does gingham count for stripes?)

Update: I just spotted I was crowned the Princess Dragonfly over on Dragonfly Journeys! How lovely. Thank you for the wonderful honour!


If you made it all the way to the end of this post, my lovely pal has agreed to let me share a few pics from our fab night out celebrating her 40th birthday. It was such a fun night! When you see the pics, you'll see how perfect the gorgeous LOTV stamp was to celebrate her special day!


We had such fun getting dolled up for this event. Our lovely hostess had booked a fun hair and makeup crew called The Beauty School Dropouts. We had such a blast with a champagne breakfast which became lunch, all getting made up together and having a bit of a giggle.


My handsome hubby even got into the spirit of things and let me take a pic of him hamming it up with his guitar. (He actually IS a very talented musician.)


We went to a really fun retro diner called The Bald Eagle Diner in a really pretty part of Auckland which overlooks Mission Bay. I LOVED the checker board floor of the diner. It so suited the look. I loved even more, the cute shoes my pal wore! Shame I didn't get a better shot.


We had such a fun night, dressed to the nines. There were games, quizzes and even a hearty rendition of 'Summer Lovin' which Greg and I sang together for the birthday girl. We had such a laugh! 






The beautiful birthday girl gave a very heartfelt speech with left most of us with running mascara!! She'd had a very big year and it was really special to share this fabulous day with her. 







It was pouring with rain when we left the diner, so hubby and I ended the night with a drop of Belgian blonde at a local pub. Not as good as my favourite 'Früli' but still a lovely way to end the night. 

Comments

Valerija said…
Beautiful card Wendy. Love the cute image and all the details.
Valerija xx
coldwaters2 said…
Beautiful card Wends I love the background papers and frame the paper pieced skirt look amazing I love it
hugs
lorraine x
Christine L said…
This is fabulous Wends... and so perfect for the 50's theme - especially that gingham paper-pieced skirt... spot on for the 50's (hmmm which I remember - just!)

Sounds like you had a fab time with your friend on her birthday!

Christine x
Chris said…
Beautiful card Wends, lovely image, design and papers all working so well together...for me the stand -out element of this pretty card has to be that gorgeous paper-pieced skirt, it looks fabulous! The gingham paper is perfect for it.
Happy weekend
Chris
xx
Pat said…
Beautiful card Wends, the image is gorgeous, that skirt looks great with the gingham paper piecing and reminds me so much of one I had in the 1960's with all the net underskirts!!! Oh to be16 again.

Pat xx
Sarah said…
...I know....can't believe how quick this month is whooshing by, scary, and I still have so much Christmas prep to do as well!! Your card is gorgeous and perfect for your friend by the sound of it. I bet you had a fabulous time, I would love to be done up 50s style!! xx
Dawn T said…
this is a stunner Wendy. Beautifully done.
Cara said…
Fabulous card, I love how you paper pieced her skirt x
So pretty, and absolutely love those touches of sparkle.
xxx
Janette said…
Love the card and am so glad you joined us at CraftyCatz this week, but I have mention all the wonderful photos you shared, what a night to remember...you all looked brilliant...xx
Furrbster said…
This is really pretty - love the sparkly bits!!

Looks like you had a fantastic night!

Thanks for sharing with us at Aud Sentiments,

Hugz Tinz
Rene said…
What a fun theme!!!
Love the card too! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Creative Inspirations. Good luck,
Rene
brenda said…
Wowy, it looks like one fabulous Birthday bash and a great time was clearly had by all present. And a great card to celebrate, perfect for our Glitter theme at Allsorts, many thanks for joining in.

B x
Jeannie said…
Hi Wendy! OMG I couldn't love this more and how you actually took the time to match the birthday party theme. I just know your friend will cherish this forever. Perfect inside and out! Thanks so much for joining my Glamorous Gold blog challenge and for sharing the fun pics too :)

Jeannie T.
Dragonfly Journeys
Mervi said…
Fabulous and beautiful card!
Gorgeous retro style photos!
Thank you for sharing at Allsorts;-))m
Tracy said…
Gorgeous creation,and I love all you photo's, thanks for joining Allsorts challenge, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x
Brawny x said…
Gorgeous cardvx
Jeannie said…
Hi Wendy! Congratulations on winning my Glamorous Gold Blog Challenge!!
Stop by and check out how fabulous you look in your Princess Dragonfly crown! Thanks so much for joining :)

Jeannie T.
Dragonfly Journeys
Sandy said…
A wonderful card and perfect for the occasion. Love the image and your perfect paper piecing too! Sorry I'm late popping in. Thanks for sharing with us at Aud Sentiments Challenge blog.
Hugs, Sandy DT

Recent Posts You May Also Enjoy