Sweet Stampin' ~ Paper Piecing

Wow that week went fast! I can't believe it's the weekend again already! Which means of course, it's time for a new challenge at Sweet Stampin' and we are being sponsored this week by the wonderful Crafts & Me store. 


I jumped at the chance to ink up one of my lovely Hannah Lynn images. I love these and don't get to use them often enough. So I was chuffed to be using the lovely Rochelle created by Hannah Lynn which is available from Crafts & Me for my DT creation. Our theme this week is Paper Piecing, so remembering I had some scaley lizardy looking paper in my stash, I printed the image on this paper and cut out the bits for the tail and bra, which on this occasion wasn't drawn as shells. I've made this sweet card for my sister's birthday. We all think of her as 'The Mermaid', as she's always loved water and has long 'Scandinavian' Blonde Mermaid-like hair! So hopefully she won't see this post! Spoiler alert!


When I saw the colours in the tail, I decided to go all out with my green Promarkers and do her hair in green. I added some lime green in the mix to lift the hair colour a little and I love how this turned out. It reminds me a wee bit of seaweed in a good way and I thought it would be awesome camouflage for a mermaid! LOL. I woke up to a cloudless day today, it was so pretty on the school walk this morning, blue for miles and not a cloud in sight, so that inspired my totally blue sky behind the mermaid.


I've used a bunch of different dies, so I'll list those at the bottom of the post, but the thing I'm most proud of with this make, is my handmade ruffled ribbon. I used a white net bag that my garlic came in, cut it into thin strips, and then handstitched it ruffle by ruffle onto some cream card to create my ribbon. I added 3 strips of string over the stitched area, because it was messy! But I think this looks rather fab. The rest of the garlic bag, I cut up and added behind the image for a bit of texture. It's a wee bit sheerer than muslin, so doesn't show quite as well, but I do like the 'net' effect it's created.


The white sentiment strip didn't look right when I went to add it, so I coloured it the same as the sky, which I think looks much nicer. Though I should have stuck with black ink. I used Memento Olive Grove at first, which was way too Olivey, for my brighter greens in the image, so I added some Memento Paris Dusk on top, (oh the joys of clear stamps!), but it wasn't a perfect redo (ooh I SO want a MISTI!) so it's resulted in a bit of a blurry sentiment. So I won't make that mistake again.


The paper piecing was very intricate in places, between her hands is a super tiny piece, and where her hair strands cover her bottom, each little strip between the hair is individually paper pieced. I really did have my work cut out for me! Hehe, pardon the pun!! But I really am pleased with the overall look of the paper piecing. I'm not sure if she's sitting on a rock or sand mound, so I coloured it as sand.

Card Recipe:
Paper: 'very' old paper pad from Lakeland
Waves: Memory Box ~ Big Splash Border Die
Shells: Marianne Design ~ Tiny's Folding Shells
Seastar and Anchor: Joanna Sheen ~ Small Nautica Set
Edging Ink: Ingvild Bolme Chalk Edger ~ Worn Jeans
Image Frame: Lil' Inkers ~ Silly Stitched Die Set
Sentiment Tab: La La Land ~ Stitched Tabs Die
Sentiment: Hero Arts ~ Anytime Messages

As usual, you can pop up any of the pics on my posts for a closer look at the details. I'll be back again soon with another post and I've some exciting news I'm bursting to share, so watch this space! In the meantime, head to the Sweet Stampin' Challenge blog to check out what my insanely talented teamies have been up to for some sweet inspiration and come join us for our 'Paper Piecing' challenge. I'd love to see what you do! Have an awesome weekend. Hugs, Wends x

Challenge Entries:
Dream Valley: #128 ~ Girlie
4 Crafty Chicks: #293 ~ Scenic
The Ribbon Girl: April Card Challenge
Stamping Sensations: April ~ One For The Girls
Crafty Calendar Challenge: April ~ Anything Goes
Little Patch of Crafty Friends: #31 ~ Anything Goes
Creative Inspirations: #248 ~ Anything Goes (sorry not used sketch)
Simon Says Wednesday Challenge: Happy Birthday ~ 7 Years Old Woohoo!!
Crafting By Designs: You Are Beautiful. I love Hannah Lynn images, if I was given this, I'd be really happy! I think her images are so beautiful.
Crafts & Me: April ~ Fairies & Magic (I hope Hannah's lovely mermaid comes under the 'magic' umbrella. I think they're pretty magical)

Woohoo, my card won the Crafts & Me Facebook challenge. So I've won 4 beautiful digital images from Crafts & Me. A super treat indeed! Thank you Teresa x

Comments

Pop's Cards said…
Good morning sweetie, this is just gorgeous :0) hugs Pops x
Tina Z. said…
wow, this is stunning ...
Great fussy cutting Wends, it's an amazing card with lovely detailing and colouring. Very clever use of the garlic bag too. Enjoy the weekend sweetie!

MÃ¥nga varma kramar
Maarit
Pamellia said…
Beautiful Wendy! I love your added elements like the lighthouse and the filigree waves, but the show stopper for me is definitely your mermaid! HOLY MOLY, how gorgeous is she! Incredible colouring job, her hair has a stunning flow to it! hugs and happy weekend :)
Mari K. said…
Thank you so much for the lovely comments on my #baby card! Your blog is lovely, going to have a look around :)
-Mari K.
Me and My Crazy Family
Carole said…
Super card, thanks for playing along with our Girlie Challenge @ Dream Valley this week. Good Luck
Happy Crafting
Carole xXx
Virginia L. said…
Gorgeous coloring and use of elements! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Happy Birthday” Challenge!
Sarah said…
Holy mackerel this is fantastic!! Beautiful colours and the ruffled netting looks amazing!! xx
Wishcraft said…
Beautiful Wends... love that pretty image and all your lovely details :o) Hugs, Lisa x
aussie aNNie said…
LOVE your creation, so beautiful and classy looking love the fabulous dies and colours too.xx
 {aNNie}
What amazing paper piecing Wends, and the mermaid hair is fabulous!! I have used apple bags for backgrounds, but I must try gathering it as you have - that is lovely
Blessings
Maxine
N-Eva said…
Fantastic card! Truly beautiful!! Thanks for playing with us at Dream Valley Challenges!
Neva DT
Fikreta said…
Your card is very beautiful !
Bad Kitty's Craftroom
Rachel said…
Fab card Wendy! Love the colours.
Hope you're keeping well. xxx
Karen said…
My sweet friend, what a treat to see this masterpiece before I flutter off to sleep after a busy weekend. The fussy cutting is spectacular! I cannot get over how exquisite that paper is for this image... it's so striking. Her hair is incredible and ooooh how I adore the detailing on your card! The garlic bag (so clever!), the dies, the sewn ruffle... you have created such a heavenly landscape for your mermaid. Beautifully done, my talented friend. :o)
Also, I am thrilled to tell you that I received the happiest mail! THANK YOU for every amazing blessing you sent me for my prize! I was stunned. It felt like Christmas opening it up. :o) I am so grateful for you and your beautiful heart. Thank you for being my steadfast ray of sunshine :o)

Hugs and blessings,
Karen
Dora said…
Beautiful card! Great colouring on the image.
Thank you for joining at Stamping Sensations this month.
Kat W said…
As you know I've not been keeping up with my commenting so I'm delighted that my DT commenting pointed me in the direction of this AMAZING card!
That paper piecing must have taken a lot of patience but it looks fabulous so well worth the effort I reckon. Your colouring finishes the image perfectly and I love her gorgeous 'seaweed' hair...it looks great and yes, like seaweed in a very good way - lol!
You are so clever to find a use for the garlic bag...I think I might be keeping the next one I get after seeing this!
Thanks for sharing this stunning card with us at Creative Inspirations :-)
Big hugs, Kat xx
Leanne said…
Wonderful job, love the details and so glad you shared this with us. Thanks for playing our challenge at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends.

Cheers, Leanne DT/LPCF
Leanne said…
Again so happy you joined us for this challenge, wonderful scene. Thanks for entering our challenge at 4 Crafty Chicks.
Leanne DT/4CC
NGCARDS said…
A fantastic creation! Thanks for playing at The Ribbon Girl! xxx
Ginny said…
yet another stunning creation xx
cats whiskers said…
Wow Wendy this is terrific, love the colours, your colouring and your gfantastic use of dies. Great Card
Hugs Jacqui xxx
coldwaters2 said…
Absolutely gorgeous card Wendy love that wonderful image also the lovely card design
hugs
lorraine x
Eret said…
Your coloring is stunning. I love your card design and die cut embellishments. So gorgeous. Thank you for sharing your beautiful card with us at Stamping Sensation.
Eret x
creationsnz said…
She is gorgeous, love the colours in her hair and perfect paper piecing!
CarolG
Rae Ann said…
That paper is perfect for a mermaid's tail! Isn't it awesome when we have exactly the paper we need?! Love the color combo for her hair as well. Love the texture created by the net bag too!

Thank you for joining us at Li’l Patch of Crafty Friends for our challenge.
Stunning card Wends...Just love the sweet image....great colours and paper piecing...Joolsx
Helen said…
Great card - love your colouring.

Thanks for joining us at the Crafty Calendar Challenge.

Helen x
Vixykins said…
Beautiful Wends, her hair is stunning x

Thank You for playing at Crafts & Me Challenge and do pop back to enter our new challenge

Recent Posts You May Also Enjoy