Fab 'n' Funky ~ Christmas

Hey there lovelies. Time for a new challenge at Fab 'n' Funky and it's time again for a Christmas challenge. We run a Christmas challenge every month in an effort to help you get ahead with your Christmas crafting. Here's a card I made with a 'floating' effect, using a scrap plastic packaging layer and suspending the image in the centre to make it look as if it was floating. It was so fun to try!


I cut an aperture in my card base with a Go Kreate XXL die, Frilly #7. The card base was part of a set that came with a lovely embossed finish. It's actually a baroque design, but I think works incredibly well for 'snowy' cards. I kept the offcut of course to use on another creation. I stuck the clear acetate down which I kept from some packaging (I keep every large piece of packaging acetate that I might use later like this) trimmed it to fit and then mounted the image so that it appeared to 'float' in the centre of the design. I've not seen this done before, I was just playing and thought it was a fun idea. I did something similar a while back with a partial cut away design. So I just took it one step further.


The image I used is an adorable one called Little Christmas Penguin by Pachela Studios from Buddly Crafts, previously known as Cuddly Buddly. I have loved the sweet images from this artist for many years now and have quite a number in my stash, but get so caught up with DT creations, I rarely pull out images from my stash to play with. So it was SO nice to finally colour up this wee guy with my Copics. He's so sweet. I added an ombré sky behind him to finish the design. I love this technique that I learnt from Mindy Baxter. It's so easy to do and I think finishes a snowy card like this really beautifully. 


A sweet but simple design, that I think is quite striking with the 'floating' effect. I had great fun making it and can't wait to see what you're inspired to do. Are you getting ahead with your Christmas creations already? I never have enough, no matter how early I start! So I'm always keen to add one more to the pile. 


Do come and check out what the rest of my talented teamies have been up to. Our lovely hostess Helen is running the challenge this week and we're all looking forward to visiting the entrants blogs. I'll be back again really soon as I have another DT creation due a little later tonight, so do stop back in for that. Hugs and happy crafting, Wends xoxo

Challenge Entries:
Not Just Cards: March ~ Anything Goes
Lemon Shortbread: #63 ~ Anything Goes
Card Mania Challenge: #102 ~ Embossing
Crafting With Friends: #63 ~ Anything Goes
Lil Patch of Crafty Friends: #78 ~ Anything Goes
Crafty Creations Challenge: #362 ~ Anything Goes
Sweet Stampin' Christmas Challenge: March ~ Anything Christmas Goes

Update: I got an 'honourable mention' at Card Mania Challenges! Thank you so much ladies xoxo


Second Update: I just spotted I made the Top 3 at Sweet Stampin' Christmas Challenge. Thanks girlies, I'm so stoked about that!


Comments

Dawn T said…
Totally awesome Wendy. Your little penguin is adorable.
Fabulous card love the penguin and great floating effect
Sarah said…
I love this floating card, what a great idea for plastic packaging and economical too with the pretty embossed panel left for another project. The star, of course, is that gorgeous penguin, beautifully coloured too xx
Pat said…
Stunning card design Wends, love the floating super cute image, beautiful colours too.

Pat xx
Chris said…
Cute image, love the design with the use of the acetate, it looks fabulous Wends,
Chris
x
Fikreta said…
so nice card!
What a fabulous card Wends - love that floating effect of the beautifully coloured and super cute image!
Blessings
Maxine
Suze said…
Love the floating effect. Great colouring of the adorable image. Thank you for joining in the Anything Goes challenge at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends.
create.365 said…
What a great card -love the clear acetate cut out and the beautifully colored image steals the show! Thanks for joining us @ Lemon Shortbread.
ILEANA ARTUFFO said…
Wonderful creation! I love image and colouring!
Thanks for playing at Card Mania Challenge.
Ileanaxx
Tracey T said…
Hey Wends! Hope all is well with you and the kiddos. Love your floating design and the penguin is super-cute. Sending hugs your way xx PS Thank you for playing at Christmas at Sweet Stampin'!

Recent Posts You May Also Enjoy